We've found that it's more healthy to snack in between meals. Snacking helps to curb appetite and may even prevent overeating. We snack to fuel our bodies, giving us the energy we need throughout the day, especially our little ones who have tiny bodies, their bellies can only take in so much food at once!
Snacking can either be good or bad, it all depends on what we're snacking on and how much. It's only a wise choice to snack if we stay away from the junk food snacks that we are naturally drawn to such as chips, french fries, cookies, candy bars, Kool-Aid and pop tarts!
Choosing snacks wisely can work for us. Here are some informative facts:
- Munching on just one carrot will meet your vitamin A needs for the entire day! (source)
- One 8 oz. serving of milk has as much magnesium as a cup of raw spinach? (source)
- Yogurt has as much potassium as a banana and as much protein as an egg or an ounce of meat. The live bacteria in yogurt helps in digestion and protect you against other harmful bacteria. (source)
I didn't realize until recently just how nutrient-rich milk, carrots and yogurt can be!
It makes it so much easier having only healthy and nutritious snack choices in our pantry. Yes, occasionally we'll buy snack foods that are borderline but it's for special times like parties, play dates or vacations.
When we go to the store we make a list and stick to it, it's awfully tempting if a bag of potato chips are staring at us in the face but we have to resist the urge to impulse buy, break away from the junk, and only get what we need.
I wouldn't say we're health food fanatics but we certainly are conscious of making sure we stay away from filling our bodies with sugar filled, processed, artificial junk and stay with whats more healthy.
Here are some of our favorite better nutrient-rich snack choices:
- Blue berries
- Peanut butter on toast or saltine crackers
- Graham crackers
- Bran English muffins with a little butter
- Fruit smooties
- All natural fruit bars (our favorite is the strawberry Sun-Rype all natural fruitsource)
All of our snacks usually will be accompanied by a nice glass of (sometimes chocolate Nesquik is added) milk, it's filling and full of vitamins - calcium, vitamins D and A, protein, potassium and magnesium just to name a few! I just couldn't resist getting a milk mustache at the Got Milk? booth during BlogHer, I just had to add it.