Why are there so many different names of Jesus? The names serve as a description of who Jesus is and how He works in the lives of individuals. Some scholars have located over 700 titles and different names for Jesus in the Bible.
Here are 13 of my favorite:
- God - Jesus is called God in several passages in the Bible. Along with His sinless life, miracles, and resurrection from the dead, His stand firm (John 20:28).
- Lord - In the New Testament, this term is used as a salutation to honor a man of distinction. The disciples used this term to salute Jesus as their teacher and master (Matthew 22:43-44).
- Word - This title was used by the apostle John to describe the mission of Jesus. The title states Jesus' Godhead and eternal and absolute deity (John 1:1, 14).
- Messiah - The long awaited "anointed one" who would deliver Israel. Jesus came to deliver mankind from sin and death (John 4:25-26).
- Alpha and Omega - These two characters were the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. This descriptive title expresses the eternal nature of God - the beginning and the end (Revelation 1:8; 22:13).
- Savior - Jesus is the person who rescues mankind from an eternity in hell.
- Redeemer - "One who frees or delivers another from difficulty, danger, or bondage, usually by the payment of a ransom price." In the New Testament, Jesus is viewed as the ultimate Redeemer who gave His life as a ransom (Mark 10:45, Titus 2:14).
- Light of the World - Jesus is the Person who brings true knowledge of God. Those who reject this light bring judgment upon themselves (John 8:12; 3:19-21).
- Lamb of God - This title refers to the Old Testament sacrificial system where God accepted the blood of animals as atonement for sin (John 1:29, 36). Jesus' blood made atonement for sin!
- Ruler of Creation - Christ existed before the creation of the world and He is sovereign over it (Revelation 3:14).
- Mediator - Because Jesus is fully God, He can represent God to man. Because He is fully man, Jesus can represent man to God. Reconciliation is possible (1 Timothy 2:5).
- Bread of Life - Jesus is the one and only supplier of true spiritual nourishment (John 6:35).
- Way, Truth, and Life - Jesus is the only way to heaven, the only source of truth, and the foundation of all life (John 14:6)!"